Strike: Disco laments blackout, schools, banks shut down in Rivers

The Port Harcourt Electricity Distribution Company (PHEDC) has lamented the total blackout in Rivers, Delta, Bayelsa, and Akwa Ibom states caused by the activities of the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC).

The electricity distribution company in a memo signed by the management of the company told its customers in the four states that labour shut down its operation.

PHED said the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN), was working hard to recover and stabilise the grid.

The memo said: “Kindly be informed that we are experiencing a total blackout due to a nationwide grid shutdown by the labour union.

“Our customers in Rivers, Bayelsa, Cross River, and parts of Akwa Ibom are currently out of supply.

“The Transmission Company of Nigeria is working to recover and stabilise the grid. We will keep you updated on the status of restoration.”

Read Also:

Strike: Health workers comply with NLC’s directives in Abuja General Hospital

All public primary and secondary schools in the state including tertiary institutions were under lock and key in compliance with the nationwide strike.

Primary and secondary school pupils who went to schools unaware of the strike were sent back home by their teachers.

All banks in the state did not open for business leaving their customers stranded.

One of the bank customers, who travelled from Rundele community in Emohua Local Government Area of Rivers State to Port Harcourt to rectify some irregularities in his account, expressed sadness over the N4000 transportation he wasted on the journey.

He said: “I spent over N4000 in transportation from my place to this bank, only to find that they are on strike. I am confused and I don’t know what to do. I did not have any idea of this strike, otherwise I would not have come here today.

“Now I will have to pay another transportation to go back home and wait till any day the strike is called off.”

Rivers State Secretariat was shut down as both entrance and exit gates were locked while some civil servants, who tried to access their offices were turned back.

Some union leaders, mounted the gate around 7.30 am to ensure no one gained access into the secretariat complex.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *