Gunmen attack school, kills two teachers, injures VP in Plateau

Gunmen suspected to be herders yesterday killed two teachers and injured a Vice Principal at BECO Comprehensive School in Kwi, Riyom Local Government Area of Plateau State.

Riyom, Mangu and Barkin-Ladi Local Government areas have been under attacks by criminals in the past three months that have left many persons dead, farmlands and properties destroyed.

The school’s Principal, Dantoro Gyang, who confirmed the attack to The Nation, said the staff members were on routine meetings at about 2pm yesterday when some armed herdsmen led their cattle into the premises for grazing, adding that they were confronted by the security men on duty.

According to him, while the security men interrogated them on why they grazed into the school’s premises; the staff came out of the meeting to see what was happening.

He said: “While we are trying to engage them on the need to vacate the school premises, two of them suddenly brought out guns, pulled the triggers, and instantly killed two of my teachers, while the Vice-Principal (Adminstration), Dalyop Emmanuel Ibrahim, and one other person were shot in the abdomen.

“As I am talking to you now, one of those injured is presently receiving treatment at General Hospital Riyom, while the vice principal was taken to Jos University Teaching Hospital.”

Speaking with newsmen, the President of the Berom Youth Moulders (BYM), Solomon Dalyop, described it as another form of terrorist attack on the people of Plateau State, adding that until open grazing was banned, the herdsmen would continue to terrorise the people.

When contacted, the spokesman for Plateau State Police Command, DSP Alfred Alabo, said the command had not been briefed on the incident and promised to get back.

In Ebonyi State, suspected secessionists on Sunday invaded the home of the Commander, Neighborhood Watch, Ohaukwu Local Government Area, Leonard Igwe, and burnt two of his vehicles.

They also attempted to set the house located at Umuogudu Akpu Ngbo, ablaze together with the commander and his family.

Speaking to Our Reporter, the victim said the members of his household numbering over 15 escaped by divine intervention as attempts to set the building ablaze by the gunmen were not successful.

He said: “On August 13, 2023 around 3am, a bus, and one keke entered my residence, I was watching them through my window. I thought they were policemen because they usually come to my place to pick me up while on patrol.

“Through their movement, I found out that they were not policemen, so I flashed my touch towards their direction and asked who they were. Immediately they ran behind their car and hid so I understood at that same time that they could be unknown gunmen on a mission.

“They immediately mobilised their men to surround my house. They positioned themselves two each at the four corners of my building shouting “No Nnamdi Kanu no peace” “If you don’t release Nnamdi Kanu there will be no peace” “If you like be Police, Army, Ebubeagu, Neighborhood Watch or even Dave Umahi, we will get all of you down”.

“I asked them what do you want from me? I am not the one holding Nnamdi Kanu. Because they were talking to me and I was responding.

Read Also:

Resistants terrified as bandits kill five in Plateau

“As I was talking they began to pour fuel on my vehicles, a white Sienna bus the state government gave to me for my work and my Rover car and set them ablaze.

“They also broke the glasses of my house and poured fuel to burn it down but as God will have it the fire did not catch. They went back and pushed the smaller car close to the wall of my house and put wood connecting to the ceiling line of the house but it did not catch fire.

“In all this, I and my household about 15 of us were inside the house. They wanted to burn us together with the house but God did not allow them to succeed.

“At one point, I attempted to escape with my family through the back door but the people stationed there were ready to shoot with their AK-47 rifles.

“On my third attempt to escape, I noticed that they were gone so we left for a safe place.

“In my house were myself and my wife, my brother who came back from Enugu with his wife on August 12, and some refugees taking shelter, so in all, we were15 n number.

“The gunmen about 20 in number stayed in my compound from 3am to some minutes past four.

“The security agencies came at about 8am because I had to call one of our security personnel who I knew his number to contact the local government chairman as I was not with my phone. My house is in the boundary area between Agila and Ngbo.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *